J.R.R. Tolkien CBE held his first full academic position as Reader in English Language at Leeds in 1920. His academic career in Leeds was short, only 5 years, but when he left to take up the Rawlinson and Bosworth Chair of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, he was already a Professor of English. During his time in Leeds he collaborated on a new edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and in 1924 Tolkien and his growing family moved to 2 Darnley Road, West Park.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
We're close, very close, to having the funding in place for the commissioning of the plaque. Thanks to the generous donations of the Tolkien Society and members.