J.R.R. Tolkien CBE held his first full academic position as Reader in English Language at Leeds in 1920. His academic career in Leeds was short, only 5 years, but when he left to take up the Rawlinson and Bosworth Chair of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, he was already a Professor of English. During his time in Leeds he collaborated on a new edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and in 1924 Tolkien and his growing family moved to 2 Darnley Road, West Park.
Sunday, June 3, 2012
Summer Update 2012
The plaque went into manufacture at the end of May and has been scheduled to be unveiled on the 1st October.